Sunday, June 14, 2009

My New Hobby

I have been looking into take a sewing class for...wow, a little over a year now. I want to be able to do some basic things; hem pants, sew on patches, make matching dresses for the girls, maybe even make some curtains eventually. But I have not found the time to take a class and I never had a sewing machine. (What's the point of taking a class without a sewing machine, or the money to buy a sewing machine.) So finally, a couple of weeks ago I took a sewing 101 class at Joann's (the fabric store). Maggie's preschool teacher, Ms. Paula, was my sewing teacher. Paula is great and funny and she sews all kinds of things. She's even made Maggie a couple of dresses out of Matt's old business shirts. Anyway, I really enjoyed the class and I am not so intimidated by the sewing machine anymore. Since the class, I had been looking at sewing machines. I checked out the new ones, but didn't really want to spend $300+ on a machine. I checked out Craigslist and found a lady selling a sewing machine with the table it sits on for $50. But, the machine is as old as I am. After talking with my mom about it, she recommended I go ahead and buy it since the older machines were made out of metal and were built to last forever. (The newer machines are built out of plastic.) I went ahead and bought the older machine. I am excited to start sewing stuff, with all my free time of course. I'll post pictures of whatever it is I do end up sewing, even if it is just a bunch of straight lines.

No comments: